On 20 April 2023, while millions around the world were looking to the skies to catch a glimpse of the Total Solar Eclipse, our staff were hard at work getting people safely in and out of Exmouth for this historic event. Approximately 19,000 people arrived at the town for the event, with vehicle movements around town close to 2,300 on the day.
Preparation for the event started back in 2020 with more than $21 million allocated to its support, including almost $8 million for traffic management, safety treatments and rest area upgrades.
Our staff led the charge, working alongside the Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation, WA Police, the Department of Fire and Emergency Services, the Department of Biodiversity Conservation and Attractions, and local government to ensure visitors were able to have the best experience possible.
Set up in a dedicated Event Coordination Centre at Exmouth's Central Regional TAFE campus, we coordinated more than 70 variable message boards, CCTV trailers and 11 live traffic counters. Sixty dedicated staff and contractors bunked in at the Learmonth RAAF Air Base and at other locations between Geraldton and Nanutarra. They also played host to then Deputy Premier Roger Cook and Transport Minister Rita Saffioti who were in town for the event.
This was just one several events supported by our dedicated Road Planned Interventions Events Team, which coordinates more than 200 network disruptions for events each year, including recently:
- HBF Run for a Reason
- Perth Festival High Voltage
- Ed Sheeran concert at Optus Stadium
- Every home game for the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers
- Telethon Family Festival
- WA Day Festival
Aside from coordinating road closures for events we also:
- Review temporary traffic management plans for the delivery of major road projects and METRONET including Tonkin Gap and Smart Freeway Mitchell Freeway Southbound
- Review and approve temporary traffic signal approvals for road work and short term modifications to signal operation
- Provide approval for variations to the Australian Standards and related Codes of Practice
- Administer our Traffic Management Company Registration Scheme